Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Happy New Year!

I hope everyone had a great Christmas and a Happy New Year! I can't believe that it's almost time for me to get back to work. Last Thursday I got all of the Christmas decor packed up and put away, and the house back to as normal as it's gonna get. So yesterday I finally had a few hours to spend in my quilt studio. I finished piecing a quilt top that will eventually go on my living room wall, but I am not going to show pics of it until I quilt it...your just gonna have to wait ;0) but while I was sitting there finishing up the quilt (which I started after Thanskgiving and before all of the baking started) my eyes started wondering over to all the bins of projects that I wanted to do (not quite UFO's since they weren't started yet. But projects that had all the fabric bought for that special quilt I wanted to make someday). Well since we just finished up the holidays and I am still feeling the spirit of Christmas I decided to start an old mystery quilt that Bonnie Hunter hosted 2 years ago called "Carolina Christmas" I was too late to do the mystery with everyone why it was being revealed but saw the finished quilt a year later that someone did and fell in love with it. So went to hunt down the pattern...couldn't find it cause Bonnie already pulled it from her site because it was going to be in her book "Scraps & Shirttails 2" so I bought the book and some fabric to make the quilt but packed it up and put off to the side to do at a later time...that time is now. Like I said I was finishing up one quilt and I kept glancing over to where this one was stored and it kept calling me to pull it out and start it. So what's a girl to do? I know I have ALOT of UFO's in various stages waiting to be finished...but all you quilters know that when something is pulling you in a direction of whether to buy a certain fabric or go with your gut instincts on a color combination you bet not ignore it or you will regret it later. So I decided to start yet another project :0) In the spirit of how the mystery unfolded is how I am planning on putting it together. So stay tuned and you will see it unfold over the next few weeks. I won't be givng out any measurements/yardages or instructions for this quilt out of respect to Bonnie, so if you want to make your own quilt you will have to buy her book for the details. 

It will be broken into 6 parts (this includes the borders) which will get me to the finished quilt top. I am also adding a few more blocks so it will fit on my king size bed, the original pattern is for a 92" sq quilt.
The colors I am using are the same that Bonnie used in her quilt...Reds, Greens, Creams, and a Gold. I am also using Christmas fabrics as well.
Now back to cutting and starting step 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment