Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Carolina Christmas Part 1

For the past week I have been enjoying my last  days of vacation, doing what? you might be asking...Well sewing of course! I have alot of my own quilt tops in need of quilting that I pieced over the past year but didn't feel like quilting them on vacation, because it wouldn't have felt like a vacation if you know what I mean, lol. 
I last posted that I was starting a new quilt, it was a mystery quilt that Bonnie Hunter hosted 2years ago so if you want the pattern you will have to purchase her book "Scraps & Shirttails II" since the mystery is no longer available on her blog. Trust me when I say you will be very happy with this book, it has ALOT of great quilts in it that would help bust the stash of most quilters.
This is all I had to do for part 1. 120- 1/2sq triangles and 240- 2patch units (the amounts are more than the mystery called for originally because I am making it for my king size bed). Didn't take too long to sew but boy did I have alot of prep work to do before I was able to start. If you are familiar with Bonnie's way of storing her stash and how she uses it for her quilts than you will know that her quilts have alot of pieces to them, they are usualy large and she starts alot of her quilts with strips, bricks or squares. However since my stash is in a state of transforming into a more manageable working stash like Bonnie's I did not have what I needed or wanted to use in the 2 1/2" strips that this quilt uses. Also I wanted to use  Benartex fabrics designed by Nancy Halvorsen. I just love her fabric lines and she is well known for her Christmas ones. So I had to prep my fabric before I was able to start in on this project (good thing I have an Accuquilt Go cutter). I am also staying true to the original fabric colors that Bonnie used in her own Carolina Christmas quilt, which was Reds, Greens, Neutrals and a Gold fabric. Stay tuned for Part 2.    

No comments:

Post a Comment