Saturday, May 14, 2011

Kaffe Fassett Fabrics

I am very traditional when it comes to color and design. I like classic prints with a dash of whimsy here and there. I have never been swepted away by the modern design or color combinations of the fabric lines of Amy Buttler or Kaffe Fassett. When I see the individual yardage of these lines I scratch my head and think what were they thinking and what on earth could I do with that. But then I started seeing some quilts made from these fabrics, mostly scrap quilts or as I like to call them organized chaos quilts because some are very well thought out with placement of color.   
See in the above photo these fabrics look ugly (at least to me). 
But if you spread them out a little based on color and value, and not look too closely at the print of the individual fabrics, they start to take on a whole new look.  
Then if you add these fabrics (a border, binding and an accent border).

You could get a quilt like this! This quilt pattern is in the new "Scrap Basket Sensations" book by Kim Brackett. It uses 2 1/2" strips. Great book to own if you are into the jelly roll strips/ patterns.

Then I came across this beauty over at Green Fairy Quilts Blog It's a Dear Jane Quilt made in the Kaffe Fassett fabrics in a rainbow trip around the world layout. It combines traditonal quilt blocks with trendy mod fabrics. What you end up with is a gorgeous quilt! But Judi's quilting on this quilt really turned it into an heirloom that will be talked about for decades or more! For more pics of this quilt click on the link to see what I am talking about. It was this quilt That really made me stop and rethink my opinion on this modern fabric designer. 

Up until now I have avoided these fabrics, didn't want them in my stash, didn't want to make anything from them period...but never say never because I decided to give them a chance and started buying some for my stash. I view it as a love hate relationship...I hate them by themselves but together they are starting to grow on me. Perhaps it's because of the bright colors or how they look when sliced and diced in small pieces (2 1/2" or smaller) that make these fabrics come alive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment