Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Comfort Foods

When I'm stressed the first thing I reach for (food wise) is comfort food, you know what I mean the food that brings back a moment in time that puts a smile on your face.

Well, ever since we decided to jump into this new house thing with both feet, I have been reaching more and more for comfort foods....today this is what I made.

     A Pineapple Upside Down Cake, all from scratch too!
My mom use to make these alot when I was a kid although she used a yellow cake mix for hers. Even though she owned the 1950's/1960's Betty Crocker cookbook which is where I found the recipe for the above cake. I loved that cookbook when I was young learning how to cook, so much that when I got married I begged my mom to let me have it, which she did. It was in such bad shape that the binder was falling apart and the pages were falling out of it. So I put it in a new binder, put each page in a sheet protector and it is as good as new. 

The cake was awesome came out perfect and was a big hit! so I thought that I would share the recipe with all of you.

PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
1/3 C butter, melted
1/2 C brown sugar
20 oz can of sliced pineapple, drained
marischino cherries, stems removed and drained
1 1/2 C sifted softsilk cake flour
1 C  regular sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 C crisco shortening
2/3 C milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 large egg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour the melted butter in a 9" round cake pan (making sure that it coats the whole bottom of the pan). Sprinkle the brown sugar over the melted butter and then place the pineapple rings over the brown sugar. Finally put a cherry in the center of each pineapple ring then set aside.
In a mixing bowl sift together flour, regular sugar, baking powder and salt. Add crisco, milk, vanilla, and beat for 2 minutes. 
Then add the egg and beat for another 2 minutes. Pour over the pineapple slices. Bake in oven for 40-50 minutes or untill toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately turn cake upside down on the cake plate leaving the pan over the cake a few minutes while cooling. Brown sugar mixture will run down over the cake. Serve warm with cool whip or vanilla ice cream  

No comments:

Post a Comment