Tuesday, November 10, 2009

When Did This Happen? The Middle Age Denial

I was that girl that was able to eat anything she wanted and never gained an ounce. Even through my child bearing years I got back down to my prepregnancy weight within 6 weeks of given birth without even trying. After the twins were born in 2000 I decided that I probably should start working out to tone up (having twins in your mid 30's wasn't like having a single baby in your 20's). So I started a program called BFL (Body For Life) it is  a diet exercise program that combines cardio, weight training with healthy eating in 12 week challenges to reach your goals. After 12 weeks I wanted to kick it up a notch so I switched to a program called Leanness Lifestyles, a more detailed approach than the BFL program. When I was on it I got some good results, I had nice lean muscle definition especially in my biceps and I was even starting to see my 6-pack abs emerge. I felt good, and I looked good. But as life got busier chasing after the twins as they got older, I had less and less time to workout and eventually stopped exercising and eating healthy. Eventually I stopped altogether, I made excuses for not exercising and tried to convince myself that as long as I was able to still get into my same size clothes that everything was fine. But then I noticed that the scale was adding a lb here, a lb there all the while I was trying to convince myself, no big deal I could loose those few extra lbs just like before without much effort. But soon the 1 lb here and there reached 20lbs above my old base weight (base weight= the weight your body gravitates to on a regular basis). What was a real eye opener though and what has motivated me to do something about it was about 2 weeks ago I decided to try on some of my dress clothes (I don't where these much since I work at home as a professional longarmer) so it has been awhile since I needed to wear them. But since the holidays are comming up I wanted to decide what I was going to wear. I could not deny the fact that my clothes were very tight and did not look good on me. Then I took a real good look at what my body now looked like...."When did this happen?" What happened to my body?" At that moment I decided this was it, I needed to make some changes. Going out and buying larger size clothing was NOT going to be an option. So I decided that I was going to loose 15 lbs by the end of the year with doing cardio and cutting out all junk food and keeping my calories to 1200 per day. This averages out to about 1 1/2 lbs per week. Not too hard to do as long as I can avoid stress eating. Once the new year hits I plan on adding weight lifting to my weekly routine, and then my fitness goals will change.


Anyways I have this computer software program (I had it for the past 8 years or so) It's called "Diet Power" http://www.dietpower.com/ it is a personal weight & nutritional coach program. Basically how it works is that you set a diet/goals where you set your start date, your current weight then your goal weight. Then every day you log in what you eat, your exercise etc... and it helps you stay on track. It is easy to use and I find it that it helps me be more accountable than without it.


I started out doing 90 mins of cardio daily but I have cut that back to 60 mins instead. The hardest part is trying to fit it in during the day. On the days I am meeting with customers I don't get to exercise until later in the day, I prefer to exercise in the morning but since I am not an early riser this is not always possible. So I try to make do with fitting everything I need to do in a 24 hour time frame.


I will give regular updates on my progress, so far I have lost 4 lbs in 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment