Wednesday, May 13, 2015

It Finally Got Quilted!!!!

If you have been following along for the past few years you know that I love working with hexagons. My very first hexie project I started back in the spring of 2009, it was the traditional Grandmother's Flower Garden Quilt using 1" hexagons. It took 5 long years to hand piece the queen size quilt top. Then it sat, and sat, and sat some more... waiting for me to quilt it. OK just to shed some light on why it has sat so long to be quilted, well... if truth be told after it took so long to piece it I couldn't stand to look at it any longer. Yup I was so mentally DONE with that quilt, LOL. Finally I decided it sat long enough and I just needed to push myself to quilt it, so it could be bound and be out of sight...period :)


 Here is the whole quilt finally quilted...it took 8 hours to quilt!


 I used a pantograph called "Jessie's Swirls" and scaled it down so that the quilting was pretty dense.

  
Here is the close up of the quilting. Now that the quilt is FINALLY done! I actually like how it turned out. Will I do another grandmother's flower garden quilt? Not on your life! But will I be doing more hexie quilts? Of course, in fact the 1/2" hexie quilt I started last year (or maybe a little bit before that) is half way done.
 
 This is just a couple of the blocks for the 1/2" scrappy hexies, I have 22 of them done out of 36 that I want to have for the quilt. Just looking at them makes me smile...love all the color!
 
  

But a quilt this size requires A LOT of little hexies. Here's a pic of me cutting some more from my stash using the accuquilt go. When it is finished I will let you know how many hexies it took to make this quilt...here's a little hint; thousands!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment